Using SAP Units of Measure in Manufacturing Plants
There are several You Tube examples of SAP B1 units of measure implemented for distributors. This document shows how to implement this functionality in a manufacturing plant where products may be shipped in special pacakaging, in different size boxes / containers and on pallets.
User view of This function
Setting up New Items
Units of Measure
- Packaging for an axle assembly for a car or truck – the packaging is designed to fit the part.
- In many instances the packaging becomes part of the BOM for the part – because that is the only way it is shipped.
- Parts are placed in standard box sizes, so many pieces to the box
- Most often a plant has a limited number of box sizes – perhaps 8 – 10 sizes to handle the non-designer packaging in the plant
- In many cases boxes of parts are placed on pallets for shipment
- Certain sized boxes are placed in ‘layers’ on a pallet
- Depending on the box size and the weights of parts, only so many ‘layers’ of boxes can be placed on a pallet. This is known in advance and most plants are shipping the same parts on a regular basis.